Monday, March 31, 2008

Bleak Outlook For Buffalo


Photo: Buffalo in Mud Volcano area.
I have little optimism for our current buffalo situation. Things are just getting worse for those animals. I've blabbed enough about them the last few posts. Now, they say that it's OK if the herd gets down to about 2500 individuals. They say herd has previously recovered from that low number before. My question is why would we allow the numbers to dwindle that low to begin with? What kind of sick, money and fear-backed campaign are they running? The facts behind this buffalo slaughter have never made even a hint of a good arguement. So far, 25% of the herd has been slaughtered this season and the number increases weekly. Simple truth is livestock money and federal interests are operating cooperatively to ensure almost the bare minimum of many "threatening" species out here. Please keep writing local and national officials in protest of this twisted management plan. The voice of a nation may stop the madness.

2 young ladies were arrested following a protest at the Mammoth Visitor Center. The center was closed to the public while the girls were duct taped togetehr by the arms arounf a banister in protest of the buffalo slaughter. Right on, girls! I appreciate your efforts. The first thing I though after I heard the center closed for that time was "Yeah, we wouldn't want visitors to know what the National Park Service is really doing to the same bison they are supposed to protect and preserve!"


And now I'm on to new subjects. First,I'm on a mission to perfect simple crystal growing. Maybe I will post updates on my trials. The kid insists on using crystals in next year's science fair experiment. Second, I have welcomed a new cat into my home. The kitten was supposed to go to a family member, who does love her, but the other large cat viciously ripped into the new kitten. Of course I could not leave the kitten there with a clear conscience. The kitten (and 7 other cats!) were recently rescued by my friend from the city shelter's death row. Cute little cat-long furred calico that is very cuddly.

4 comments:

Livingsword said...

Hi Heavenabove;

Thanks for the buffalo update, I like the idea of going to this area as a tourist that also has an idea of what is going on in the local situation. I have to admit we thought of changing our destination but perhaps engagement can help in some tiny way….Maybe if we are also posting articles and images about Yellowstone we can come along side you and others of like mind and make some kind of difference. When you post information here my wife and I personally tell dozens of other people about the situation, thanks for your help….

I think crystal updates would be infotaining, go to it!

That is a lot of cats!!!! My allergies would go crazy! LOL

Nice to see you have another furry friend…

By the way the end results of the Fantasy Hockey is coming up and I will be posting the prizes in a few days….You are a winner in more ways than one….

Take care, talk to you later….

heavenabove said...

I've also been tempted to boycott Yellowstone, but I just can't do it. It's more inspiring to me to go see the animals and remember why I strive to help ensure a good future for them. Of course, it appears that it's mostly in vain.

Astro Galaxy said...

Hello,
Glad to hear you have a new cat.
Have your cat settled in your house already?
Happy Crystal growing too!

Livingsword said...

Hello Heavenabove!!!

I hear where you are coming from….

Come to Life on the Blade to pick up your Life on the Blade Fantasy Hockey Prize!!!!

http://lifeontheblade.blogspot.com/2008/04/life-on-blade-fantasy-hockey-final.html