Monday, September 8, 2008

Canyon Wolf Pack

I had the thrill of a lifetime once again in Yellowstone. I was able to view the newly formed Canyon wolf pack lying around on a chilly yet sunny day last week. A ranger said this pack had just formed over the winter. They seem to be taking over the old Hayden Pack stomping grounds. The Hayden pack, with its famous white wolf, moved out of the Park (God help them). The Canyon pack has 3 grays, a white, and a large black. Sorry no pics though. I think my digital camera would have only showed them as fuzzy spots. However, the could be seen fairly well with the naked eye and amazingly well with my scope! The grays were curled up sleeping at their own spots. The white was lying down and looking around. The big blabkie was curling up and napping, then he would get up and reposition himself for more slumber the way any dog or cat does. Great experience!

Also, say a prayer for a young grizzly cub I saw foraging for winter. It appears that this winter will be the cub's first winter on its own. I can't say if the mom was dead or what but this bear looked pretty small to be alone this year.

5 comments:

Livingsword said...

Hi Heavenabove…

Even with no photo you made me feel like I was there along side you experiencing the exhilaration of being in the presents of such wonderful creatures!

Thanks so much….

I hope you are doing well…

heavenabove said...

Livingsword, good to hear from you.

Someday I will have a photo of these wolves. I think it's in my best interest to start saving up for a real camera with a telephoto lense.

Eye Candy said...

~Greetings Heavenabove~

I wanted to let you know that I find your compassion for other creatures on SOL 3 to be very refreshing! You seem to have an otherworldly vision, are you actually from SOL 3?

Livingsword said...

Hi Heavenabove,

Thought I would beam over to see how you are doing….

heavenabove said...

Eye Candy, I guess I am from SOL 3, although I have not heard of this term before. Sometimes I feel like I'm part of a rare breed.