Friday, February 22, 2008

Bison Slaughter Escalates

In the last 2 weeks, 290 more Yellowstone buffalo have been sentenced to death for nothing. Every few days, more and more are rounded up.


The words of the Buffalo Field Campaign shot me through the heart:

Along the north boundary, near Gardiner, Yellowstone National Park has captured and sent to slaughter 290 of America's last wild buffalo. It is so hard to imagine the stress and horror these buffalo go through as they are captured and separated from their families by age and sex. Frightened, they run around in a panic, goring each other as they try to find a way out of this thoughtless prison. The sacred buffalo, being loaded onto livestock trailers and hauled to the dark nightmare of the slaughter house, to be processed and cut to pieces. How dare Yellowstone National Park condemn the buffalo under their care to such a fate.

Excuse me while I rant. What the hell kind of "management" is this that has been allowed to continue for years unchecked?! The buffalo are not even tested for brucellosis. If they were, I'm positive the majority of them would not have the disease. Why are the elk with it not sent to slaughter or even considered to be a threat? The "managers" and ranching interests backing this sick practice are completely braisen, even to the point of being morally bankrupt. I'm sure Natives weep for the loss of the bison. So do I. I believe God is saddened also-we are not taking proper care of His creations.

The vision I see of the future for America's western wildlife is not good, in fact our precious animals are in a dire situation-wolves, bison, bears, cougars,... Every year I watch as the sad tale unfolds. The states with the largest areas of prime wildlife habitat and fewer people kill more wildlife than anywhere else in the nation. There is no tolerance, no pride for what wildlife we have out here, no real conservation practice (most times the word "management" is used out here, maybe because they know it is not "conservation"). I have acquired friends from many states across the U. S. and none of them can believe what we are doing to our wildlife out here in the great West. One gal from New York of all places put it this way the other day, "They kill animals out here, that's what they do." She's right. It's a gun toting, animal shooting funhouse where selfishness dictates. I'm tired of knowing bison are dying daily for the whims of a few with more money, therefore more political clout. Corrupt-no way, right?! I would like to read a pleasant story in any paper out here once in awhile about a living animal of any kind. Guess I'll have to start my own paper for that.

I feel helpless in situations like these. All I can think of is to tell others to boycott American bison (meat, hides, etc.) in the marketplace until current bison management practices stop. When money talks, "management" listens.

Photo: 3 of Yellowstone's last remaining bison (very well could be dead now).

8 comments:

Jim Macdonald said...

Hey there,

I just posted a link to your much needed "rant" into the Yellowstone Newspaper.

In any event, I wanted to ask you where in Montana you live. Some of us in Bozeman are organizing a teach-in related to BFC and the "buffalo wars" as a means of organizing a group in Bozeman (not to work exclusively necessarily on buffalo but certainly in solidarity). It will probably happen next month.

Anyhow, I have had many of the very same feelings as you.

From one non-carnivorous person to another, thank you for speaking out.

Cheers,
Jim

heavenabove said...

Jim, I'm in Billings-very much not an activist type of place, sad to say. I would love updates on the teach-in. Perhaps I may be able to do something from here, or even make it to Bozeman when the time comes. I am impressed that you would link my post to the paper. And much obliged. We need our voices heard, as the future of wildlife is in our hands. Even if I was a meat-eater, I would feel the same way about what's going on out here with wildlife.

Looney & Livingsword, I am so sorry. I accidentally deleted your comments after reading them as I was removing yet another message to click "here", assuming it was from Fox or Blackray again. This time there was also a link for "Warning" which I was afraid to check out.

Looney said...

Hello Heavenabove,

Hopefully you will be less afflicted by devious posters.

The morning after I read your post, I went up to the Redwoods for a bit of running, Bible reading, meditating and prayer with my church group. The verse that God sent me was Habakkuk 2:17 -

"The violence you have done to Lebanon will overwhelm you, and your destruction of animals will terrify you."

There aren't many places in the Bible where wanton destruction of animals is condemned, but this is certainly one. This is part of a long condemnation of Israel for its sins. I wouldn't have paid much attention to this particular verse as I was reading, but it stuck in my mind because of remembering your post. Thanks.

heavenabove said...

If all else fails, copy accidentally deleted comments from your e-mail.

Looney said:I had read your article, and the next morning went to the redwoods to run, read my Bible, meditate and pray. The verse that God sent me was this:

"The violence you have done to Lebanon will overwhelm you, and your destruction of animals will terrify you." - Habakkuk 2:17

The Bible isn't vegetarian, but it was clear the God was condemning people for wanton destruction of animals. I probably wouldn't have given much attention to that verse if I hadn't seen your article first. Thanks.

Livingsword said: Hi Heavenabove;

If you check the profile of “Fox” you will see no blog but over 1400 profile views for a persona created this month.

Must be troller causing problems for people…

Looney, I will be reading this Bible verse in its context tonight. In fact it may very well become a favorite Bible quote of mine.

heavenabove said...

If all else fails, copy accidentally deleted comments from your e-mail.

Looney said: I had read your article, and the next morning went to the redwoods to run, read my Bible, meditate and pray. The verse that God sent me was this:

"The violence you have done to Lebanon will overwhelm you, and your destruction of animals will terrify you." - Habakkuk 2:17

The Bible isn't vegetarian, but it was clear the God was condemning people for wanton destruction of animals. I probably wouldn't have given much attention to that verse if I hadn't seen your article first. Thanks.

Livingsword said: Hi Heavenabove;

If you check the profile of “Fox” you will see no blog but over 1400 profile views for a persona created this month.

Must be troller causing problems for people…

Looney, I will be reading this Bible verse in its context tonight. In fact it may very well become a favorite Bible quote of mine.

Empires Shadows said...

Hi Heavenabove;

Thanks so much for the report…

Is it the National Park or the Montana Department of Livestock that are killing the bison

Some interesting information at the Park web page on bison and their “management”:

They say none of the Yellowstone bison have brucellosis:
http://www.nps.gov/yell/naturescience/bisonqa.htm

The LA Times says many Bison have brucellosis:

“Many bison carry the disease brucellosis. It can cause pregnant livestock to abort their calves and suffer other health problems. But there are no recorded cases of a bison-to-cattle transmission -- prompting criticism from animal rights groups and members of Congress that the slaughter program is heavy-handed and unnecessary.

The killing of the animals captured Monday will bring to approximately 470 the number of bison slaughtered this winter. An estimated 130 more have been killed by hunters.”

http://www.latimes.com/news/nationworld/nation/la-na-bison26feb26,1,5286832.story?ctrack=1&cset=true

What are people thinking?

A am sad to say it but Montana should be ashamed of this! What a disaster….

heavenabove said...

I believe the National Park Service is top dog in this bison fiasco but both are working hand in hand.

heavenabove said...

Empires Shadows-so we meet again. I just looked at your profile!