Monday, February 18, 2008

Oh, To Be Free Flying

Currently, I have heard much sad news about animals. We have cattle being tortured to make them stand up so they can be "fit for slaughter" for human consumption. It is downright animal cruelty. I'm sure you've seen the disturbing footage on the news over the past couple of weeks. We have polar bears drowning in ever-expanding Arctic waters. Gorillas and elephants are being massacred. Moose in the Rockies are roaming into expanding urban areas in search of food and then being trapped and hauled off to God know's where. We have people anxiously awaiting the upcoming grey wolf massacre. And hundreds of bison are being shipped off to their death, even newborn calves, in the name of retaining "brucellosis-free status" for cattle herds-only problem is the bison being shipped to slaughter are not even tested for the disease.


In light of all of this, I have been thinking about what it would be like to be a wild bird flying free. As a bird, I may have a better chance to escape death by human since humans are mostly concerned with larger, predator type animals. And what a better bird to be than a raven out in the mountains. Humans are more apt to capture or kill fancier birds with nice plumage or more meat. Ravens have always fascinated me. They are quite intelligent birds. They can use tools, reason, and have moods and personalities. They have inquisitive minds and a special relationship with wolves. Just imagine what they see out there!

On a fall trip to Yellowstone last season, we stopped at a picnic area to get lunch. Ravens are always hanging around that picnic spot every time I've been there. Probably the same birds. This time we were sitting at the table when 2 ravens slowly moved in closer and closer to us, hopping along the ground, over boulders, and through trees. One was far more reserved than the other and would come no closer after a certain distance. The other one was quite a character. This bird was testing us to see if we would give it handouts or drop crumbs. It would circle the table by walking on the ground and then slowly move in to the benches until we would move a little. Then it would scoot back a bit and do it over again for the good hour we were there. In the meantime, of course, I am talking to this raven and I can plainly see that it's listening to me by the way it's looking me in the eye and tilting its head and "talking" back when I am through with my statements. I don't claim to know what it said but I do know we were communicating. This is the friendliest raven I have ever come across. It became so brave as to sit on the bench at the table. Keep in mind that the picnic area was full with other tourists eating lunch, but none got to be part of this special experience.

After eating lunch and making sure to leave no crumbs of human slop around for the ravens (and even cleaned up others' slop off the ground), we took off walking to the restroom. We came out and guess who was hopping over the ground to us? The 2 ravens, with the shy one farther back. After the car was loaded up, we drove over to dump the trash and the ravens were still following after us until they caught up to us. I told my "friend" we had to get going but we'll be back after winter is over for another visit.

A terrific book to read on ravens is: Mind of the Raven by Bernd Heindrich. He has spent a lifetime studing these fabulous birds. In fact he has also contributed to PBS's Nature program "Ravens" . I have not seen this yet but I'm sure it's good. And as always, don't pass up a chance to watch or interact with these birds.


Photos: The raven on rock is my "friend" at the picnic area. The other one I don't know-it was catching bugs in a thermal area.

9 comments:

Looney said...

Yes, the Raven is a beautiful bird. I usually see them soaring here and there on the mountains as I do my hiking and running.

In the Redwoods nearby, it is the colorful Steller's Jay that usually greets the picnickers.

heavenabove said...

Birds are wonderful aren't they! I'm no birder so I don't know many species but I have had some very close encounters with a medium sized greyish bird swooping down several times from the lodgepole pines trying to get Cheerios out of my bowl.

heavenabove said...

Agamagra Blackray, The "here" link doesn't work. Perhaps a simple message would be better.

Has anyone else had contact with this person?

Looney said...

Dr. Blackray appears to be a blogless blogger.

Livingsword said...

Hi Heavenabove;

Excellent article!

It is impressive when you fold your bitter-sweet stories together.

The heart goes out to those poor animals being mistreated and then you help touch our lives with personal insights and stories that help formulate change.

My wife is a HUGE raven fan I will be sure to point this article out to her, reading your words it could have been her saying those things! I also love ravens but not to the same degree as she….

The way ravens interact with humans can be immensely interesting, and rewarding. I can’t count how many times we have had to correct people who call ravens crows!

Mind you there was a time in my life when I would have just called them all birds!

Thanks for this article :)

Chocolate Girl said...

Hi Heavenabove,

I love your Raven story. I love watching and listening to these birds.

On my long commute to work I cross a very large bridge over the Fraser river. The bridge is about 1 Km long. There is a Raven couple that I see about 4 days a week. They sit on the sixth light post on the western end of the bridge. When I drive home I always look to see if their sitting up there and I now say Hi or I wave!

I have another bird commuting story:

This winter a mature Bald Eagle has made another light post his home ( also on the highway). He has been living on one of these very tall posts with about 6 lights circling it. The top is very flat and quite large and has a view over a stream running thru a semi industrial area. One day I saw him flying with a fish in his talons! I often wonder if anyone else in their cars even bothers to notice him. And every day now I expect him to move on. My commute will be much duller without my friend to look at.

Chocolate Girl

heavenabove said...

Blackray, the mysterious blogless blogger!

Livingsword & Chocolate Girl, Thanks for your raven input. I love hearing tales of ravens and the eagle story is great! I bet the majority of people miss out on the splendor of watching the eagle. Since you 2 are going to Yellowstone, you may run across my raven friends. They hang out at the Yellowstone River picnic area near Tower-Roosevelt on the northeast road.

Anonymous said...

Sorry. Look please here

heavenabove said...

Fox, assuming you are also Blackray, this link does not work either. Please share the name of your site or what it is about.