Friday, June 20, 2008

Cannon Beach, Oregon



In my recent travels, I was able to see a part of the country I haven't been to before. One of my favorite places was Cannon Beach. The town is very nice but the best part is the beach. I hear many artists call this place home because of the famous Haystack Rock (pictured above), a favorite subject and I believe the largest offshore monolith in the world. Puffins nest on the rock. At low tide, people are able to walk out to the rock but I was there at the wrong time for that.

The Atlantic Ocean is so warm compared to the Pacific in the Northwestern U. S. I did wade in the chilly waves but I did not dare to submerge myself in its cold waters. BRRRR! Completely different look on the beaches, also. The Pacific coast is full of cliffs and trees, including evergreens, while the Atlantic does not. Sea life is a bit different, as well. I've never seen a sand dollar on the Atlantic coast but they are all over the Pacific shoreline. No horseshoe crabs and big jellyfish washed up on shore either but there are sea lions (which I did not see) and plenty of broken crab parts scattered around. Very cool to see something new!


FYI: Sea lions are considered a problem in the Pacific Northwest. They eat salmon but the fishermen's livelihood depends on salmon. So, sea lions are being killed so they can't eat the salmon. Not long ago-I forget if it was Washington or Oregon- was going transplant some sea lions to a differnt location to help both sides out. Well, the sea lions were placed in transport cages and were waitin to be moved. They never made it to their new home because somebody shot all of them while in the cages. Very sad news.

3 comments:

Livingsword said...

Hi Heavenabove!

Great photos!

We are going back along the Oregon coast in September so you have whetted my appetite! Oregon’s pounding surf is a quite different from parts of Washington and BC which have more locations that are sheltered. But the Oregon coast has so much beach to wander and wonder along it is almost unbelievable!

The debris changes a bit throughout the year with more varieties of life forms appearing later in September

We don’t have a sea lion issue here, sad situation for them along the coast there…..We do however have far too much of a proliferation of fish farms in BC.

The photo of the long flat beach reminded me of the Montana prairie! LOL

Looks like you got the better part of the deal on the weather; we didn’t have that much sun in Montana! LOL

Astro Galaxy said...

Greetings,
Everything I see pictures of the places you've visited. I really wish I could go there one day! To see these beautiful nature and animals. It's simply wonderful!
Have a great week!

heavenabove said...

Livingsword, I'm glad you get to go back to the Oregon beaches. They are fabulous! Yeah, I did luck out on the weather, especially the days I was at the beach. I will slowly be posting more from the 2 other beaches I went to (Seaside and Washington's Long Beach Peninsula). It's still quite rainy here in MT. Lots of flood warnings going on.

Astrogalaxy, I will soon be posting my penguin pictures. They are not very good. Hard trying to get a shot of a penguin that won't stop swimming:)