Wednesday, July 4, 2007

Thanks For Your Thoughts


I received this post today:

Anonymous said...
Hi,
I just stumbled upon your site and respect your view on your ailing, aged kitty. However, many years ago one of our kitties (who had had kidney problems early on and then for many years - primarily because this was in the 1970s before it was well known that male cats can have blockage issues, which he did at one point when young) that I wish we had taken that step to end his misery at the end. It was at the point that he had absolutely no quality of life. His last night on earth was horrendous. I guess we were in denial and kept hoping he would rebound. The kindest thing we could have done was to intervene and take him to the vets to end his misery that night. Even after that, it was still hard to make that decision with any pet and we rarely did (at least when it should have been done). But that is one gift we can give our beloved pets: to be there at their side when we say good bye for the last time (by the choice to euthanize). We make that choice when no other humane option is really left. I truly believe that they know that our actions are out of love. But it is hard to let go and that is a curse that humans carry it seems. It is in retrospect that I now wish I had made that decision for the sake of my beloved pets more often than I did. But again I do respect your view. Just wanted to add a different perspective which is more reflective than anything.


I would like to thank you for your reflections. I have been struggling lately, trying to decide when is the right time to take Tidy to the vet one final time. It is good to hear from others. It's a hard decision to make when feelings get in the way. I went through the same thing with my first cat but that was more of a cut & dried situation-in the middle of the night she lost her ability to use her back legs after prolonged hyperthyroidism and was trying to drag herself around. There was no question then. Now it is just not as clear but I know what I need to do soon. I have never hoped or thought she would get better-that was made clear from the start.

2 comments:

Livingsword said...

Heavenabove;

I am so sorry to hear about Tidy. I can’t remember if I have told you about my dear dog Kimba. Back in December my wife and I had to have her “put down”. It was one of the most challenging things I have ever done. She was a great dog as I know Tidy has been a great cat.

Kimba’s health problem came upon us suddenly; she would have suffered very badly with nothing we could do to stop the end from coming so quickly, although we could alleviate the suffering a bit, the challenge with animals is we cannot reason with them in these situations, she was frantic.

We were in the room comforting her as the vet gave the shot, and we felt and saw her life depart. I have tears in my eyes, it still hurts, but for us it was the right thing to do, and I still feel that way.

Your situation sounds different, it certainly is your call and I would never tell you what to do, in my humble opinion, if there is much suffering and passing is imminent then that last trip to the vet is justifiable.

Thank you for your openness. You and Tidy are in my prayers.

heavenabove said...

Victorya, I did publish your comment but it did not show up so I am pasting it in myself:

Oh heaven, it's so tough! I still cry from mine. She also had cancer, but the vets couldn't figure it out - the pathologies kept coming back as canine which was funny because my friends always said she was half dog.

It was a hard decision for me, till the end she was happy and wanted to look out the window and purr - I think she was waiting for me to be ready more than the other way around.

Cats are so important to me- and you are so lucky with the 19 years. With mine, her name was/is Penny, and three days before she told me she was ready to go home I found a Penny in the street with a cross cut out of the center. My angel was being called home. That weekend she looked at me, and collapsed. She stood up again- but I knew.

A couple friends went with me to the vets. There were so many tumours it took them four tries to get the needle in, but for the first time she didn't struggle- she searched for my hand, put her head in it, and closed her eyes.

Damn, I want to cry now, for both of us. They are such wonderful fuzzy joys. I wish you the best and am here to virtually hold your hand if you need it. I'm sure you know Tidy is going to a wonderful pain-free pasture.

((hugs))