Monday, November 26, 2007

Idaho Fish Pollution Control


The state of Idaho, the nation's largest producer of rainbow trout, has come up with a plan to reduce waterway pollution from farmed fishes. Much of the water pollution is caused by increased phosphorus levels coming from fish "emissions" at the farms. The plan is similar to the nation's current air pollution permitting process. Fish producers will be given permits based on operation size. Just like air permits, these water permits will be transferrable. Basically, there is one overall standard for phosporus levels but specific fish growers may still be able to pollute above the standard because of the tranfers. I'm just glad there is finally a maximum allowable level. It is a start.

EPA Targets Fish Farms With Permits

Photo: Rainbow trout from NPS archives

2 comments:

Livingsword said...

Hi Heavenabove;

Like you said it’s a start.
It would sure be nice to see more done on this, everywhere.

I know you are a vegetarian but do you eat fish? Sorry you may have already told me and I have forgotten…

heavenabove said...

Livingsword, glad you finally got throught to this page. I do not eat fish. Many years ago, I did eat it once in a great while but I still struggled with the thought of it. Here's a bit from this summer when my kid wanted to go fishing:

Stay Away, Fish!

Lucky for me, we never had to go through with it.