Tuesday, April 17, 2007

The Green Power Solution?!


Since I said I think I have many untraditional environmental views I thought I should give an example. "Green power" is not the answer to our energy problems or pollution. Wind power will only ruin the landscape plus windmills need metals and plastics for the parts (yeah sure, mining and plastics are environmentally friendly!) and big diesel trucks to haul all the parts around. New roads may need to be built to put the mills in prime locations. Polluting factories need to manufacture all the parts. Windmills are junking up coastal areas. I just don't get how windmills all over will help the situation. Ethanol or biodiesel either. These require crops which require more land to grow. In my opinion these green solutions to our energy problems will just add to our increasing demand for power. Instead of a few main ways to generate power we will have double that so where is the incentive to change? When one runs out, we have a backup. As Americans we need to change our attitudes about energy use. The "green power solutions" are totally absurd to me. Reducing consumption is the key, not making more energy sources available for our insatiable energy appetites!

Photo:www.harlowtonchamber.com

5 comments:

Livingsword said...

What do you think of nuclear power? It seems that many “environmentalists” (I am not sure, do you dislike this term, and it would be cool to have a new term that is not so loaded with baggage) are changing their minds about this. What about hydro power? There are problems with all of these systems. I am not sure if changing our consumption will be enough.

Your blog has encouraged me to create my own nature blog with a twist:
http://creationontheblade.blogspot.com/

I would love to get some comments from you.

heavenabove said...

Nuclear power is not the answer. How can these materials be efficiently disposed of? They are stored underground now-breaking down emmitting radiation! This is beyond scary. What happens when a fault occurs and ruptures the staorage facility? What about it getting into groundwater? What effect will it have on other species? Frankly, I do not think the energy problem can be solved according to how we live now. We would have to revert back to a more primitive world and that is not going to happen. At least not until we ruin what we have now and some people are left over to start fresh. It seems to be human nature to want more and more. Who knows!All I know is that tere's just too many people unnecessarily using too much energy. Yep, I am one of them myself!

heavenabove said...

Sorry about the poor spelling above. I forgot to check it then I published it now I guess it is stuck like that!

Livingsword said...

Hi heavenabove;
I agree with you about nuclear power, just trading one big problem for another. I am still not sure with hydro power, we have a lot of it in BC and if we were to put more dams on already dammed rivers the environmental cost would be cut down quite a bit (of course there will always be damage, even animals do damage). I also don’t think that all of our problems would be solved by becoming more primitive, firstly I just do not see it happening (although stranger things have happened). The thing is lots of bad things happen from being primitive also, there are positives form living in modern society. For example I have had my life saved on more than one occasion by modern science (human life is of incredible value), our current communication mode is a result of modern science (I know you realize this, and have thought of it I am just trying to keep my thoughts clear).

It seems to me that we will either have to find an amazing alternative or we will be in disastrous trouble either from irreparable damage to the planet or from drastic human behavior as a struggle ensues for control of valuable resources etc. Humans have a great propensity for creativity endowed upon them by the Creator but we are also depraved in our fallen rebellious nature. I know how it is going to end and it is going to get very ugly before it gets good. We have a responsibility to do the best we can till then. Keep up the good work.

Oh yes you can re-edit postings behind the scenes if you make grammar or spelling errors which I do all the time. You can enable quick edit a the bottom of each article that only you can see or you can do it form your master posting station, check it out you will find it.

heavenabove said...

yes, green power will reduce pollution and that is a great thing but we still have too much demand for power.