Sunday, April 8, 2007

Turkey Dinner Anyone?




The other day at work a kid said that turkey season is opening soon. I said I hope he wouldn't be killing any of them. He told me he didn't think I would say that if I knew that there were 300 of them living less than a mile from where we were. I said that was a dumb reason to kill them. I said there are now over 6,000,000,000 people on Earth and our population is not being checked plus we are destroying the planet for other species. The other kids (late teens & young twenties) all were getting upset with me. Their words were that the world is already screwed no matter what so they are just going to do whatever they feel like doing. Yep, the kids went on and on trying to make excuses for adding to our environmemntal problems and laughing. I find it sad that many people cannot look beyond ther own selfishness these days (young people especially). If less people were like that, we would actually have a fighting chance to work towards a better world. Our Earth really is in trouble.

(picture from www.texasbeyondhistory.net/.../
turkeys.html)

2 comments:

Livingsword said...

Hi interesting blog. I found your statements interesting in this particular article. I find that typically it is young people that care about the environment not older people as I am now almost 43 I guess to some this makes me old. Personally I care a lot about the environment and animals.

I am interested in what morals you could appeal to in regards to this matter. If you just appeal to science there is no reason to be good to the environment. You can do anything you want, there is no truly right or wrong. Personally I am a follower of Jesus and because of that I have a passion for these matters. God’s creation is fantastic! He created everything including the animals and directed us to take proper care of His creation.

So my question is what moral reason could you give to care for the environment (note I am not saying ethical reason)?

You may find my blog interesting…

http://lifeontheblade.blogspot.com/

heavenabove said...

I just put a post up in response to your comment. I was having blog troubles-as in not knowing how to work the thing but I figured it out.