Sunday, May 6, 2007

Class of 2007


I graduated yesterday with my first Bachelor's Degree and with honors. I am a full-fledged "environmenatlist" now. Don't ask me what I'm going to do with it right now. There's so much I would like to do that I can't choose just yet. I think it still hasn't hit me yet. Maybe because I am not the run-of-the-mill environmentalist (as I've mentioned before, I have many non-traditional views on the environment). Story about how I decided to go to college? Well, I got sick of working with people that just didn't care about ANYTHING in the world around them, only partying. I was really fed up. I have a little picture of Jesus standing in the lily fields with his arms out inviting people in. I asked him what I should do about my situation. He said, "Go up." I did not understand what that meant then. I went to the zoo and ran across a table with a bunch of pamphlets on it. An Environmental Studies brochure from the college was one of them. It lured me in with it's Rocky Mountain scene and from then on I knew I would go to school. I understand "Go up" now and I cry thinking about it-it's not the degree or anything material, it's that He wants the best for me no matter what.

Oh yeah, here's something that may be hard to believe. One of my best friends through school is a hunter! No joke. We do harass each other a lot but all in good fun.

1 comment:

Livingsword said...

Congratulations on your accomplishment.

Interesting how a visit to the zoo had such a profound impact upon your life. Visits to zoos and similar places have indeed added to the burden I feel to wake people up to the beauty of creation and also our responsibilities as stewards for the planet. The same thing happens to me when I visit your blog.

It is fantastic that you have a friend that is a hunter. A friendship with people of other world views helps us keep a human face on things, and it allows us to be a positive influence, engagement can be very good. It is part of “loving our enemies”.