Monday, May 21, 2007

Duckling Update

My duck is supposedly a Pekin-Swedish-Mallard mixed breed that is a "beautiful" duck-marked by a "D" on the shell. The "SW" was one that did not make it. Either of these types of duck do not fly. I believe I am in trouble when this little duck hatches since I wouldn't feel right letting it loose at the pond, unable to fly away from predators. I have contacted the zoo to see if they will take it when it gets all its feathers and oil. If not, there is one other zoo-type facility for non-releasable wild animals within driving range that may take it. I know there are some mallards and cranes there. Apparently it is illegal to keep a wild mallard without a special permit so I am glad that the original egg laid on my lawn did not make it. If no place will take it in, then I will be forced to build a pen on my apartment patio for it to call home. It will be a show duck-I will enter it in competitions at the fair. This is hoping that it does not quack so loud that neighbors complain and I have to get rid of it. I am just not the kind of person that can turn the heat off of the egg and let the embryo die. It has 9 mores days until hatch day and I can see it moving around in the egg when I candle it. My advice-if a duck ever lays an egg on your lawn and leaves, pretend you never saw the egg in the first place.

1 comment:

Livingsword said...

A little EGGcitement keeps life interesting!

(Ok that is the best I can do, I am on vacation in Germany! Check out the article I just posted I think you will find it interesting, I thought of you when I learned something new)