Tuesday, May 15, 2007

Goose, Goose, Goose, Duck


One duckling had finally made its appearance at the pond. Strange thing is the duckling has a Canadian Goose family! The little duck was being pestered and attacked at random intervals by a particular bully of a gosling sibling but other than that it seemed to fit in fine. Of course, the duck is yellower and smaller than the rest of the bunch. The mother took it in I guess. Maybe the egg got mixed in with hers. Actually, the goslings were not newborns at all, they started hatching a couple weeks ago and are pretty big now. I don't recall seeing the duckling with them then. Who knows.

About Day 13 for my quackers. The beak is prominent now. The duck floats around in the egg, probably getting dizzy from me turning its egg to see what's going on in there. The picture is a Swede duckling like the one I expect to hatch (hoping that it is not a swan!). I believe the mallard egg was too old by the time the incubator arrived but I will see in 2 weeks. The other "SW" had a cracked shell and did not make it too long.

1 comment:

Livingsword said...

You have to watch out for those Canadians, they can be tricky!