Thursday, May 31, 2007

A Thanks To Horseshoe Crabs


I was looking through an old magazine on this dreary, rainy day when I ran across an article about horseshoe crabs. I thought of the beach: nice rolling waves, wet sand and warm air, seagulls flying, crabs and jellyfish washed up to the water's edge,and just relaxing. I was born in the East so I got to go to the beach a lot more then than I do now. I haven't been to the Atlantic coast for 3 or 4 years now. Hard to get there when you live in the West. Anyway, I remember the last time I was there how I enjoyed seeing a distinctly unique geologic landscape that is much different from my current homeland in the Great Plains near the Rocky Mountains and the Yellowstone supervolcano. As a child, nature is inherently amazing. However, after just finishing 4 years of environmental and earth science schooling, I get an even more excited feeling when I see before me the forces of the Earth and Heavens. This horseshoe crab article and photos took me to a wonderful place today. Thanks crabs!

Here is a nice educational site on the crabs:
http://www.ocean.udel.edu/horseshoecrab

Once again, the "add link" does not want to cooperate so I will add it to a new list on the side.

2 comments:

Livingsword said...

When I was young I would get so excited leaving my home in the Rockies and taking the train or driving to "the coast". When we started getting close to the ocean I would try to smell the ocean, it is very strong when you are not used to it and it would make me smile for the rest of the ride.

heavenabove said...

Makes me smile thinking about it!