Friday, September 21, 2007

Even More Bear Woes!


Here's another post about bears. Getting sick of hearing about them? Well, I am tired of being bombarded with news of "problem" bears causing problems for people. Today I came home in time to watch the news. Kalispell, Montana has bear problems. One black bear was shot dead because it was in a yard and trying to get in the house for food. The life of one old grizzly is now at stake because it has been going around doing the same thing. DNA was used on fur samples to incriminate this old guy. No doubt about it, he will be dead when they find him. 10 more grizzlies are being relocated for being "troublesome". Take a good look at the map. Where is Kalispell located? Far from bear country? No, right in the middle of it-surrounded by 3 national forests, a Native Reservation, and Glacier National Park! Indeed, these bears are trying to adapt to human encroachment on their natural turf. They are trying to get whatever food is easily available-who wouldn't?

Somewhere, somehow, someway, somebody (of power and influence or the weaker masses banded together) must do something! Surely I am not the only one that sees the large picture of what is happening to these bears (also many other animals). What I am talking about is a complete overhaul on the way these so-called "problem" animals are looked at in the first place. The problem animals are us. We are the only animals that have the power to change the world for ourselves and all other species. We are moving more and more into the only homes animals have left then we claim it as our own but we don't want to deal with the problems we have created. Then animals die. Animals are being mismanaged to death at the whims of our society that refuses to take responsiblity for the whole mess we are soley responsible for. I am sick of it. (If ever I wanted to post curse words, this is it!)

Yes, I do toss and turn in bed at night thinking about this kind of stuff. And yes, tears do come to my eyes when I see little or no hope for these situations. I've said it before and I will say it again-shame on us! I believe God is not happy with what we are doing to this Earth.

7 comments:

Livingsword said...

Hi Heavenabove;

Very good article, the map was a good instructive “touch”.

I for one am not tired of your bear articles, bring them on, and wolves or whatever you feel led to write about, I am thankful that you make yourself a resource to others and have such passion.

A humble suggestion, if we are “only animals” then it can seem we have no obligation to act in a different manner.

Mere survival of the fittest means we can do what we want and have no moral reason to not do bad behaviors.

In other words there would never be any absolute right and wrong if we are “only animals”.

Just a thought…

heavenabove said...

I understand what you are saying about referring to us as animals. Yep, if we consider ourselves "only animals" like the other species we wouldn't feel moral obligations. Perhaps I should have expanded a bit what I meant by that. I do think we are animals but I know we have been given a higher purpose than the other animal species on the planet. After all, we were created in God's image while the others were not. All animals have different "specialties" and ours happens to be vastly different from the other animals.

Livingsword said...

I like the way you worded that!

We have an enormous responsibility to guard (be good stewards) of our environment.

It’s about time the human species started acting as special as God says we are, instead of being destroyers we are to be guardians-cultivators of His creation! Cultivate implies enormous innate value, guard means to protect that value, keeping gin mind this place is on lone to us.

Thanks for your thoughts, much appreciated.

Livingsword said...

Wow Heavenabove beat me to it; I will be adding a link to your blog from both of my blogs as well.

By the way you have made me be wild and crazy, I went to the store and purchased some drawing pencils, and sketch pad, now if only I could draw a straight line with a ruler I would be off to a good start!

heavenabove said...

Yes I believe I will also get back into my black and white pencil drawing (of animals, naturally!). I was excellent years ago and even had some works stolen off display. Now I can barely draw a stick figure.

Livingsword said...

Lol…

I thought it would be interesting to cross post my comment!

I am sure my stick figures will be worse than yours Heavenabove!

How about animal figures out of sticks?

heavenabove said...

Ya gotta love a stick figure! I bet the good artists get a big laugh out of us "stick figure" people! I wish I had a scanner so I could show some of my drawing attempts when the time comes.