Monday, September 24, 2007

Up A Tree With A Small Solution


Of all the bears in Kalispell lately, only 2 of them came into town attracted by grease spills (the food kind, not the auto kind). The rest of the "problem" bears were attracted to plum and apple trees in peoples' yards. After becoming awarw of this information, I though, "This problem can be addressed differently now to sharply limit these incidences." What I propose is to pass a city ordinance forbidding the planting of fruit trees within the city limits (or wherever necessary). Of course, this will not be well accepted because people want to do what they want to do, and they do enjoy a fruit tree in the yard, but it has the potential to decrease human/bear interactions especially when bears are hungriest and roaming more in search of food.

3 comments:

Louise said...

I have fruit trees in my yard, apples, cherries, plums. Here the only thing I have to worry about it the birds and I don't mind sharing a bit with them. If I had to worry about bears I would be quiet happy to give up the fruit trees! Good luck with your campaign.

Livingsword said...

Perhaps if people would relax a bit and just share the fruit…

heavenabove said...

Funny but wise:)