Sunday, September 16, 2007

Recent Bear Attacks

Photo: Note how I am far away from these mom & cub grizzly bears!

Within the last couple of weeks, 2 or 3 hunters have been attacked by grizzly moms with cubs. After being attacked, one hunter shot at a griz mom in self-defense. The bear and cubs took off and have not been located since. The hunter is not sure if the bear was hit so it may be running around wounded, dead, or hopefully doing fine.

The worst thing I could imagine is getting mauled by a grizzly. I have a huge fear of it myself. However,when you are out in bear habitat in the fall bears will be out preparing for winter. Not a good time to disturb them. And certainly a worse time to disturb a mom with cubs. For the safety of bears and humans maybe hunting season should be scheduled at a different time. Of course, I prefer never but that is unrealistic. A wounded bear may not be able to survive the winter. A dead bear with cubs left behind is just as bad. A wounded bear with cubs makes it harder for the whole family's survival. Accidents will always happen, but sneaking around the woods when bears are very active just heightens the chances of an attack. This is as bad on the bears as it is on the person. If a bear feels threatened it will attack-no maybe about it. If a bear smells an elk carcass left by a hunter, it will be attracted to it for a good meal. That's just what bears do. Even hikers need to be more aware and respect bears natural instincts at this time.

What really worries me is that all this publicity about bears attacking will put even more bear fears into people. The Yellowstone grizzly population had been removed from the Threatened and Endangered Species List this past spring. Perhaps with all these tales of bear attacks lately, there will be great pressure to permit a hunt on these great animals earlier than planned. From my understanding, it is still supposed to be a few years before grizzly hunting becomes an issue but trigger-happy hunters will be itching to get rid of these "problem" bears now.

8 comments:

Livingsword said...

As always, good food for thought…

Victorya said...

I loved the movie Grizzly Man because I think it really showed the stupidity - either way - of man. When you invade their habitat, as man is doing, expect casualties. AFter all, we've been killing them long enough.

When I hear of bear attacks, am I wrong in thinking 'yeah bear' if the bear won? I just hate when they're shot in the end.

heavenabove said...

"Grizzly Man" is a favorite movie of mine. Yes, it does show the stupidy of man but what struck me more in this movie was not how ridicuouls people can be but that Tim Treadwell did indeed know bears well. I find it fascinating. These same bears allowed this man to live with them every summer for 13 years with no trouble. Now, if Tim did not understand bears and respect them, he would have been dead shortly into his first excursion. It was only when that old newcomer came around, that Tim died. And he was well aware that his own death was a possibility with that bear. Tim was certainly a different individual but I do admire his understanding of bears. Whether he died by the paw (and mouth) of a bear or not, he still had a bond with them that others do not have.

FiKaLo said...

What an interesting issue to have. I hope it doesn't result in a wave of animals being shot, though. Wow... In my country we don't get bears. Most animals issues here are related to highly poisonous small creatures (like spiders, snakes, etc) and domestic dogs attacking people - an issue that's on the increase in my area.

heavenabove said...

Fikalo, how very interesting. It's always a treat to get a perspective from somewhere else in the world. Perhaps you wouldn't mind sharing what country you are in.

FiKaLo said...

Thank you so much for your encouraging comments on A Humble Art Folio!

I'm Australian, in answer to your question! It would surprise people, I think, to know that kangaroos shouldn't be messed with, and that platypus males are poisonous! Even our cutest wildlife are potentially dangerous! :-)

Livingsword said...

Fikalo is from Australia, I know because she came to you thru Creation on the Blade.

heavenabove said...

I visited her site and recommended your sites to her if she didn't know about them already. Small world isn't it?!