Tuesday, September 4, 2007

A Day In The Mountains


Part of the Absaroka-Beartooth Wilderness.

Enjoyed a nice day hike here. The trail I was on just stayed along the valley - very little elevation change. No large wildlife was around. Although, as I was getting a meal after the trip, locals were anxiously discussing the start of hunting season. A sign was posted about a non-human fearing adult black bear in the area but the Ranger said there had been no sightings or signs of bears reported in some time. On my way back home, a large buck deer jumped out across the road but I was lucky enough to see him in time to stop.


A squirrel eating pinecones along the trail.

3 comments:

Livingsword said...

Hi Heavenabove;

I was reading a book today “Guns Germs and Steel” by Jared Diamond (my third time thru it) and he was saying how one of the reason humans don’t eat pinecones is that we can’t compete with squirrels in planting the preferred types! They are more efficient at it than we ever could be. Cute little squirrel.

heavenabove said...

I own this book. It was from one of my classes and I am in fact now using it for a research project.

Livingsword said...

His book “Collapse” is even better, I don’t agree with everything he says but he is a compelling writer who has a knack for making complex matters rather easy to understand.