Sunday, June 17, 2007

Must I Kill To Connect With Nature?


Photo: If I remember correctly, these elk were grazing along the Firehole River a couple years ago. One was behind the left tree so it can't be seen. Notice how I am NOT standing beside a dead elk with my gun and showing off its rack!

I woke up this morning thinking about going camping when I remembered a conversation (one-sided argument maybe is a better term) I had with a person about connecting with nature months ago. This person insisted that he was closer to nature than those of us that do not "harvest" animals for sport. He said he is right out in nature and gets to see the animals doing what they do. After saying I do everything he does except kill animals he still would not see that us non-hunters are also close to nature. Apparently, the kill puts you closer to nature. This is only the basic just of the conversation. I ended up leaving this conversation feeling abused, confused, and angered. And I still do when I think about it. I do not see the difference between what hunters do and what I do except fot the killing part. I camp and hike in the wild. I even use hunting equipment bought at hunting stores (unfortunately)-a laser-sighted spotting scope, GPS, camp gear, etc. I may spend less time outside because I am not stalking animals to their death so I can leave whenever I want. I just don't understand why a hunter is closer to nature than I am. I think it is terrible that one thinks taking the life of an animal brings you closer to nature. It doesn't make sense. Must feel good to rip the life away from some unsuspecting animal I guess. Makes a hunter feel big and powerful. I think this thinking is sick and misguided. It take a bigger person to see the beauty in animals without wanting to possess their very lives. Maybe somebody could help me understand this hunter's point a little better because I just don't see it.

When I get a chance I will have to get more photos off my camera to use in this blog. I am too lazy to climb behind my desk and sort through all the wires. I'm no pro (as you can tell by the date stamps! I do not use those anymore for obvious reasons) but I would prefer to use my own stuff when I have it and if I can fit it in somehow.

And thanks to everyone for the nice comments about this blog. When I started it I was afraid I would get a bunch of angry hunters trying to put me down. Thankfully, I haven't had to deal with that yet. I would delete the stuff anyway since this is supposed to be a conflict-free zone. I do enough defending my postion in real life. I'm even an official environmenatlist now but this field tends to be one-sided as well. Everything is shifted towards finding solutions (like with energy), but very few are looking at the real root of problems and those of us that do are outcasts. I am tired of conflict. Thanks to all you supporters of nature and LIVE wildlife.

4 comments:

Livingsword said...

I am not a hunter but I do know a few hunters, most are very rational and caring people, others not so much. I cannot comment on why they hunt but I will comment upon the thoughts you expressed in your article from my point of view.

I think some hunters feel like it is a challenge to track the animal and shoot it with a modern high powered sophisticated weapon, I believe hand to hand (paw/hoof) combat would be more appropriate if you want a challenge.

For others it is almost a “right of passage for manliness”. I am a man who feels very manly (none of my hunting friends would deny this) and I do not feel this need to hunt, and I am actually for offended by “trophies” (why would I want to look at dead animals instead of living animals?)

I believe for others the issue is around power, control, and dominance. Much as some animals urinate in places for dominance and territorial reasons some humans feel the same need. They may not live out their regular weekday life like this but they use hunting as an outlet for these pent up anxieties and/or frustrations. It is actually a sign of weakness although they dress it up as strength.

Some would say that it is a modern extension of hunter gather psychology. A trait that is so ingrained into our past that some just cannot let go of it (but then why are so many of us so strongly against it?)

Just some thoughts I thought I would pass along.

heavenabove said...

Excellent thoughts. I thought all that too but you say it so well. I was also thinking about the hunter-gatherer society thing-women did not do the hunting then or even into most of our more recent history. Now many women I know sport hunt. Equal rights I guess.

Victorya said...

Good ruminations, I often wonder about the thrill of hunting myself. I understand when it's a person's way of life for food and clothes, but that's just not the way it's approached anymore. Man is the worst natural predator of all animals out there, and I figure we've done enough to destroy their society, do we really have to hunt them down and put them on our walls as well?

I agree with living about the power thing. I do beleive that as society expands more and more people are feeling powerless and try to reclaim dominance wherever they can.

Cheers!

Vic

Louise said...

I just don't get it either. How anyone can get pleasure from killing is beyond me. I think it is a power thing also, but as livingsword says a real test of power would be to leave the weapon out of it and go hand to hand.
I just love your blog.
enjoy your camping trip.