Thursday, June 28, 2007

Southwestern Wolves & A Little Respect


Well, the wolves of the Southwest have been under fire for a while now. I was so mentally tired from fighting for the Yellowstone wolves for months that I admit I am not up to par on what is happening with these other wolves. All I know for sure is that there are only 59 wolves total down there and that is apparently too many for some folks. So another battle is brewing.

I feel for wolves maybe moreso than any other animal. I don't know why. I am not a dog person-I do like dogs but I don't care to have on as a pet and don't get all excited when I see one. I'm actually somewhat afraid of dogs a little after a 2-pit bull incident at work many years ago. But I am not afraid of a wolf. When a wolf ran within 10 feet of me and the kid the other year, I felt awe. I was physically weak and speechless, eyes huge with excitement (hence no photographs!). I felt no need to fear it. Respect yes, fear no. I did not intentionally go out seeking to come that close to one and had no idea it was even around until it came by unexpectedly. I do not teach the kid to fear animals, just repsect them and their homes and to be aware of potential dangers associated with each species. I am more afraid of a dog harming my kid than a wolf because who knows what the dog owner has instilled into that pet. With a wolf, it rather just stay away from people and with good reason. I am mysteriously drawn to wolves more than any other animal.

Everyone wants respect. All species, not only humans. Wolves get little respect and I get tired of their persecution. They are wonderful animals. In fact, all animals are wonderful in some way and I do include those that I don't particularly care for. They are just like us. They have families, friends, and feelings and are just trying to make a living. Animals need respect.

And don't even think about telling me animals don't think and feel because I know better! For a good book on animals emotions, I suggest The Emotional Lives of Animals by Marc Bekoff with a foreward by Jane Goodall (2007, New World Library).

I urge everyone to stand up for the 59 wolves of the Southwest.

Here's a link to learn more about the Mexican Wolves:
Southwestern Wolf Information & USFWP Recommmendations

Also, I was finally able to get the short fox video onto the top right sidebar. If you click on it, it plays above the latest post, right under the title. I was lucky enough to get it there so that's where it will stay for now. I have a short deer one to get up too. I may end up with an animal video link on that side somewhere and sometime in the future. And notice how the links in posts are finally working correctly!!!

2 comments:

Angel of Delusion said...

Thanks for visiting my site.

I appreciate your views on the wolves. I recently read that wolves have very strong family ties; something we can relate to. I also think it is important for people to remember that all members of an ecosystem are important. With out the wolves there will be an increase of other "nuisance" animals.

Victorya said...

I totally agree. It all boils down to respect - respect of ourselves and others - and extending that respect to the world around us.

I've always felt a kinship with wolves too, I guess all those stories of how they raised 'wild bill' or other children made me respect them and want to run off with them.